The Governance Committee (GC) oversees the process for nominating and electing Masters and Fellows of the College to the Board of Regents (BOR) and is beginning the process of seeking Regents to join the Board in May 2016. The Treasurer position will also open in 2016.
The Governance Committee strives to represent the diversity within Internal Medicine on ACP's Board of Regents. Important general qualifications include commitment to ACP, dependability, leadership qualities, and the ability to represent the College in numerous and diverse arenas. Regent nominees must be Fellows or Masters of the College.
Candidates for Treasurer do not need to be a current member of the Board of Regents, but will become a member of the Board as Treasurer. The Treasurer is a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents and Chair of the Financial Policy and Audit Committee. Treasurer candidates should be experienced and/or comfortable with investments, pensions, insurance and financial management issues; have proven leadership ability in order to guide the Financial Policy and Audit Committee toward effective decision making; be willing to devote the time necessary to become familiar with the College's financial policies and practices; have the ability to work with College management; and possess the ability to make financial matters and recommendations understandable to persons with little or no financial background.
All candidates for Regent and Treasurer must declare their intent to become a candidate by Aug. 1, 2015. Once declared, candidates will be provided with additional information to complete the nomination packet and submit the following materials, no later than Sept. 1:
- 1 letter of nomination (not from the candidate),
- 2 letters of support (from 2 individuals other than the nominator),
- biographical sketch,
- personal statement (maximum 150 words or less),
- response to standardized questions,
- current curriculum vitae,
- current photo (head shot preferred), and
- conflict of interest disclosure.
Letters of nomination should include the following sections:
- brief description of the nominee's current activities,
- special attributes the candidate would bring to the BOR in terms of the desired characteristics outlined above,
- previous and current service in College related activities,
- service in organizations other than the College (medical and non-medical), and
- identification of 2 individuals who will write letters of support for the candidate.
Letters of support do not need to have specific content or format, but will be most useful if they focus on the candidate's qualifications and how they would contribute to the BOR and College.
Please contact Florence Moore no later than Aug. 1 to declare your intent to be a candidate for Regent or Treasurer.
Only candidates who declare their candidacy by Aug. 1 and complete their submission packet by Sept. 1 will be advanced to the Governance Committee for review.
If you have any questions, please contact Florence Moore toll free at (800) 523-1546, ext 2814, or direct at (215) 351-2814.