Crossed Words: Toxic assets
By Justin Vader, MD, ACP Associate Member
Answers to clues are placed horizontally in rows to reveal an answer written vertically. Unlike the familiar acrostic puzzle format, the final answer can be in any column.
1) Hematophagy helper for leeches
2) ____________ aminotransferase
3) In the anatomic hepatic lobule, it is between the periportal and centrilobular zone
4) Chemical agent responsible for zombification in the “Return of the Living Dead” series
5) First isolated from ox bile, now “gives you wings”
6) Adjective when Reynolds number is low
Find in the vertical columns (puzzle grid): Connection between an infamous beach, an infamous canal, and the Ukraine.
Dioxin (puzzle answer)
Love Canal in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Times Beach, Mo. Ukraine’s Viktor Yushchenko. All were poisoned by dioxin, one of a family of 75 chemically-related compounds commonly known as chlorinated dioxins. One of these compounds is called 2,3,7,8-TCDD. It is one of the most toxic of the family and is one of the most studied. (Source: CDC online)
Photo by iStockPhoto
Internist Archives Quick Links
Earn CME Credits with ACP
ACP offers internists many CME options for the completion of AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credits™. Attend live meetings, work online, or watch course recordings on your own schedule.
Explore our many CME credit options.
The Next-Generation Clinical Information Resource
DynaMed Plus is a collaboration between ACP and EBSCO Health. ACP members enjoy free access to this comprehensive tool that optimizes time to answer for busy clinicians, like you. Get started now!