Crossed Words: Toxic assets
By Justin Vader, MD, ACP Associate Member
Answers to clues are placed horizontally in rows to reveal an answer written vertically. Unlike the familiar acrostic puzzle format, the final answer can be in any column.
1) Hematophagy helper for leeches
2) ____________ aminotransferase
3) In the anatomic hepatic lobule, it is between the periportal and centrilobular zone
4) Chemical agent responsible for zombification in the “Return of the Living Dead” series
5) First isolated from ox bile, now “gives you wings”
6) Adjective when Reynolds number is low
Find in the vertical columns (puzzle grid): Connection between an infamous beach, an infamous canal, and the Ukraine.
Dioxin (puzzle answer)
Love Canal in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Times Beach, Mo. Ukraine’s Viktor Yushchenko. All were poisoned by dioxin, one of a family of 75 chemically-related compounds commonly known as chlorinated dioxins. One of these compounds is called 2,3,7,8-TCDD. It is one of the most toxic of the family and is one of the most studied. (Source: CDC online)
Photo by iStockPhoto
Internist Archives Quick Links
Internal Medicine Meeting Early Registration Discount
Register early for Internal Medicine Meeting 2015 in Boston, MA to lock in the lowest possible rate. Learn more or register now!
Are You Using ACP Smart Medicine®?
This online clinical decision support tool is a FREE benefit of ACP membership delivering point-of-care access to evidence-based recommendations. Includes more than 500 modules, images and reference tables. Start now or watch the video tour.