Crossed Words: Toxic assets
By Justin Vader, MD, ACP Associate Member
Answers to clues are placed horizontally in rows to reveal an answer written vertically. Unlike the familiar acrostic puzzle format, the final answer can be in any column.
1) Hematophagy helper for leeches
2) ____________ aminotransferase
3) In the anatomic hepatic lobule, it is between the periportal and centrilobular zone
4) Chemical agent responsible for zombification in the “Return of the Living Dead” series
5) First isolated from ox bile, now “gives you wings”
6) Adjective when Reynolds number is low
Find in the vertical columns (puzzle grid): Connection between an infamous beach, an infamous canal, and the Ukraine.
Dioxin (puzzle answer)
Love Canal in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Times Beach, Mo. Ukraine’s Viktor Yushchenko. All were poisoned by dioxin, one of a family of 75 chemically-related compounds commonly known as chlorinated dioxins. One of these compounds is called 2,3,7,8-TCDD. It is one of the most toxic of the family and is one of the most studied. (Source: CDC online)
Photo by iStockPhoto
Internist Archives Quick Links
New Leadership Webinars
The ACP Leadership Academy is offering FREE webinars covering the core tenets of leadership, leadership in hospital medicine, finance, and more.
Join ACP Today!
ACP membership connects you with like-minded colleagues and provides access to a variety of clinical resources, practice tools, and ways to earn MOC and CME.