ACP members in the news
College members win AMA leadership awards
The AMA Foundation recently gave leadership awards to a group that included 16 College members.
Ms Hsu (center) receives a leadership award from AMA Foundation President Joseph Riggs, MD, (left) and AMA President Yank D. Coble Jr., MACP (right).
The organization's leadership award program recognizes 25 medical students, 25 residents and fellows, and 25 young physicians who have exhibited outstanding leadership abilities in organized medicine or community affairs.
The following ACP members received awards at a March ceremony in Washington:
- Gregory Ayers, ACP Associate, Birmingham, Ala.
- Vikram Bakhru, ACP Medical Student Member, Washington
- Lisa Erlich, ACP Associate, Houston
- Mary Jo Fidler, ACP Associate, Chicago
- Adam J. Gordon, ACP Associate, Pittsburgh
- David T. Grande, ACP Associate, Philadelphia
- Karen Hsu, ACP Medical Student Member, Iowa City, Iowa (Ms. Hsu is Chair of the College's Council of Student Members.)
- Munish Khaneja, ACP Associate, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Sarah Kureshi, ACP Medical Student Member, Rochester, Minn.
- Maj. Richard Malish, ACP Associate, U.S. Army
- Dipesh Navsaria, ACP Medical Student Member, Champaign, Ill.
- Maria del Pilar Ortega, ACP Medical Student Member, Chicago
- Louis J. Papa, ACP Associate, Fairport, N.Y.
- Scott E. Shapiro, ACP Associate, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Sara Wasserbauer, ACP Associate, Denver (Dr. Wasserbauer is a member of the College's Council of Associates.)
- David E. Winchester, ACP Medical Student Member, Tampa, Fla.
New deputy director appointed at NIH
Raynard S. Kington, ACP Member, has been named deputy director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr. Kington has served as director of the NIH's office of behavioral and social sciences research. He also served as acting director of the NIH's National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
Before joining the NIH, Dr. Kington worked at the CDC, where he led the national health and nutrition examination survey. He had previously worked at the Rand Corporation.
Internist Archives Quick Links
New Leadership Webinars
The ACP Leadership Academy is offering FREE webinars covering the core tenets of leadership, leadership in hospital medicine, finance, and more.
Join ACP Today!
ACP membership connects you with like-minded colleagues and provides access to a variety of clinical resources, practice tools, and ways to earn MOC and CME.