Proposed Medicare fee schedule includes College recommendations
The proposed 2001 Medicare physician fee schedule included some, but not all, of the College's recommendations.
HCFA included the following College recommendations in the schedule:
- Use more recent practice expense survey data from the AMA's Socioeconomic Monitoring Survey.
- Allow clinical office staff time to be reimbursed for certain outpatient procedures.
- Restore to historic levels the work relative value units for current procedural terminology (CPT) critical care codes.
HCFA did not incorporate the following College recommendations:
- Pay for pulse oximetry on the same day as an evaluation and management service.
- Conduct sensitivity analyses on practice expense refinements, as the General Accounting Office advised.
- Establish a methodology to accept a "j" code for unusual equipment costs associated with a procedure.
HCFA's final fee schedule is scheduled to be published in November. College officials said they hope that HCFA will consider adding these and other recommendations to the final publication.
Internist Archives Quick Links
New Leadership Webinars
The ACP Leadership Academy is offering FREE webinars covering the core tenets of leadership, leadership in hospital medicine, finance, and more.
Join ACP Today!
ACP membership connects you with like-minded colleagues and provides access to a variety of clinical resources, practice tools, and ways to earn MOC and CME.