Proposed Medicare fee schedule includes College recommendations
The proposed 2001 Medicare physician fee schedule included some, but not all, of the College's recommendations.
HCFA included the following College recommendations in the schedule:
- Use more recent practice expense survey data from the AMA's Socioeconomic Monitoring Survey.
- Allow clinical office staff time to be reimbursed for certain outpatient procedures.
- Restore to historic levels the work relative value units for current procedural terminology (CPT) critical care codes.
HCFA did not incorporate the following College recommendations:
- Pay for pulse oximetry on the same day as an evaluation and management service.
- Conduct sensitivity analyses on practice expense refinements, as the General Accounting Office advised.
- Establish a methodology to accept a "j" code for unusual equipment costs associated with a procedure.
HCFA's final fee schedule is scheduled to be published in November. College officials said they hope that HCFA will consider adding these and other recommendations to the final publication.
Internist Archives Quick Links
Have questions about the new ABIM MOC Program?
One Click to Confidence - Free to members
ACP Smart Medicine is a new, online clinical decision support tool specifically for internal medicine. Get rapid point-of-care access to evidence-based clinical recommendations and guidelines. Plus, users can easily earn CME credit. Learn more