Proposed Medicare fee schedule includes College recommendations
The proposed 2001 Medicare physician fee schedule included some, but not all, of the College's recommendations.
HCFA included the following College recommendations in the schedule:
- Use more recent practice expense survey data from the AMA's Socioeconomic Monitoring Survey.
- Allow clinical office staff time to be reimbursed for certain outpatient procedures.
- Restore to historic levels the work relative value units for current procedural terminology (CPT) critical care codes.
HCFA did not incorporate the following College recommendations:
- Pay for pulse oximetry on the same day as an evaluation and management service.
- Conduct sensitivity analyses on practice expense refinements, as the General Accounting Office advised.
- Establish a methodology to accept a "j" code for unusual equipment costs associated with a procedure.
HCFA's final fee schedule is scheduled to be published in November. College officials said they hope that HCFA will consider adding these and other recommendations to the final publication.
Internist Archives Quick Links
Reviews of the World's Top Medical Journals—FREE to ACP Members!
ACP JournalWiseSM is mobile optimized with optional email alerts! Get access to reviews from over 120 of the world’s top medical journals alerting you to the highest quality, most clinically relevant new articles based on your preferred areas of specialty. ACP Members register your FREE account now!
New CME Option: Internal Medicine 2014 Recordings
New CME Package
Includes 75 of the most popular sessions in internal medicine and the subspecialties. Stream the sessions, answer brief quizzes and earn CME credit. See details.