Proposals for ACP-ASIM Fellowship due June 1
College Members who wish to be considered for advancement to Fellowship at the November 1999 Credentials Subcommittee meeting must submit completed proposals to the Membership Records Section by June 1, 1999.
To advance to Fellowship, candidates must:
- be certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine;
- have been a member in good standing for two years in either ACP or ASIM and have held a position in practice or in academia for at least two years since completion of training;
- have an active medical license in good standing (if in clinical practice);
- have confined professional activity to internal medicine or a subspecialty of internal medicine;
- be proposed and seconded with detailed letters of support from two current Masters or Fellows with reference to character, ethics and medical activities, and outlining professional contributions and accomplishments;
- be endorsed by the appropriate ACP-ASIM Governor;
- have shown continuing scholarship and professional accomplishments; and
- document continuing professional activities, including teaching (both institutional and community-based); hospital committee work; public service and community activities; and participation in continuing medical education activities as both a student and teacher.
The College has established four Pathways that serve as guidelines to qualify for Fellowship. For each of the following pathways, candidates must meet the basic requirements listed above.
Pathway 1: Members must have demonstrated skill in written medical communication.
Pathway 2: Members must have significant and continuing certification activities and/or teaching (both institutional and community-based), and/or community activities that indicate professional achievement and scholarship; they must have undergone recertification; they must have participated in the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP) with a passing score. In addition, subspecialty certification or certificates of special competence in adolescent medicine, critical care medicine, clinical cardiac electrophysiology, geriatrics, or sports medicine can qualify a candidate for this pathway, but are not adequate by themselves.
Pathway 3: Members must have been active members in ACP or ASIM for at least 10 years, with substantial participation in programs and activities, as well as demonstration of other professional accomplishments.
Note: Outstanding candidates who have been active Members for fewer than 10 years may qualify by combining Pathways 1 and/or 2 with Pathway 3.
Pathway 4: Members must have distinguished professional activity in teaching, patient care or professional service over many years.
Candidates must document each pathway. Individuals may be accepted without fulfilling one pathway if their work in other pathways is deemed outstanding by the Credentials Committee. To get the full description of requirements for advancement to fellowship and an advancement to Fellowship proposal, contact your local College Governor or call ACP-ASIM Customer Service at 800-523-1546, ext. 2600 or 215-351-2600.
Internist Archives Quick Links
What will you learn from your Annals Virtual Patient?
Annals Virtual Patients is a unique patient care simulator that mirrors real patient care decisions and consequences. CME Credit and MOC Points are available. Start off with a FREE sample case. Start your journey now.
Products and Resources for Patients
ACP has developed easy- to-use materials designed to help educate your patients on self-management of a wide variety of common health conditions. Order yours today!